moroccan lamb tagine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup The Gracious Gourmet Balsamic Four Onion Spread
- pinch of stem saffron
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 7 ounces dried apricots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- hot, cooked rice or couscous
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in 6 – 8 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half of lamb; brown well. Remove lamb with slotted spoon; reserve. Add another 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to saucepan; brown remaining lamb. Add reserved lamb, water, Balsamic Four Onion Spread and saffron; season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook ½ hour.
- Stir in sliced onion. Continue to cook about an hour, or until meat is tender. Remove lid, increase heat to medium, stir in cinnamon and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is reduced by half. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Stir in dried apricots and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; heat through. Serve over hot cooked rice; sprinkle each serving with toasted almonds. (For best flavor, make a day ahead and refrigerate. Reheat and serve.)
- Makes 6 servings.
The Gracious Gourmet https://www.thegraciousgourmet.com/